Updated July 2019
A GUIDE ON HOW TO USE RSS TOOLS
RSS is an abbreviation that has evolved into the following, depending on their versions:
RDF Site Summary (also known as RSS 0.9; the first version of RSS)
Rich Site Summary (also known as RSS 0.91; a prototype)
Really Simple Syndication (also known as RSS 2.0)
Today, RSS stands for ‘Really Simple Syndication’, and it has the following 7 existing formats or versions:
a) 0.90 – b) 0.91 – c) 0.92 – d) 0.93 – e) 0.94 – f) 1.0 – g) 2.0
Click Image To Enlarge
RSS tools refer to a group of file formats that are designed to share headlines and other web content (this may be a summary or simply 1 to 2 lines of the article), links to the full versions of the content (the full article or post), and even file attachments such as multimedia files. All of these data is delivered in the form of an XML file (XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language), which has the following common names:
- RSS feed
- RSS stream
- RSS channel
They are typically shown on web pages as an orange rectangle that usually has the letters XML or RSS in it.
RSS feeds can be used to deliver any kind of information. Some of these ‘feeds’ include:
- Blogs feed – each blog entry is summarized as a feed item. This makes blog posts easier to scan, enabling ‘visitors’ to zoom in on their items of interest.
- Article feed – this alerts readers whenever there are new articles and web contents available.
- Forum feed – this allows users to receive forum posts and latest discussion topics.
- Schedule feed – this allows users (such as schools, clubs, and other organizations) to broadcast events and announce schedule changes or meeting agendas.
- Discounts or Special feed – this is used to enable users (such as retail and online stores) to ‘deliver’ latest specials and discounted offers.
- Ego or News Monitoring – this enables users to receive ‘filtered’ headlines or news that are based on a specific phrase or keyword.
- Industry-specific feed – used by technical professionals in order to market, promote, or communicate with current (and prospective) customers and clients within their specific industries.
RSS feeds enable people to track numerous blogs and news sources at the same time. To produce an RSS feed, all you need is the content or the article that you want to publicize and a validated RSS text file. Once your text file is registered at various aggregators (or ‘news readers’), any external site can then capture and display your RSS feed, automatically updating them whenever you update your RSS file.
RSS tools are useful for sites that add or modify their contents on a regular basis. They are especially used for ‘web syndication’ or activities that involve regular updates and/or publications, such as the following:
- News websites – as used by major news organizations such as Reuters, CNN, and the BBC.
- Bug reports
- Personal weblogs
There are many benefits to using RSS feeds. Aside from being a great supplemental communication method that streamlines the communication needs of various sectors, RSS tools and feeds can also have tremendous benefits in your business, particularly in the field of internet marketing.
RSS tools and feeds provide Internet users with a free (or cheap) and easy advertising or online marketing opportunity for their businesses. Below are some of the RSS features that can help make your internet marketing strategies more effective.
- Ease in content distribution services. With RSS, your business can be captured and displayed by virtually any external site, giving you an easy way to ‘spread out’ and advertise them.
- Ease in regular content updates. With RSS, web contents concerning your business can now be automatically updated on a daily (and even hourly) basis. Internet users will be able to experience ‘real time’ updates as information in your own file (such as new products and other business-related releases) is changed and modified simultaneously with that of the RSS feeds that people are subscribed to.
- Custom-made content services. With RSS, visitors can have personalized content services, allowing them total control of the flow and type of information that they receive. Depending on their interests and needs, visitors can subscribe to only those contents that they are looking for (such as real estate or job listings).
- Increase in (and targeted) traffic. With RSS, traffic will be directed to your site as readers of your content summary (or 1 to 2 lines of your article) who find them interesting are ‘forced’ to click on a link back to your site.
These are just several of the many things that you can do with RSS. The possibilities are endless, and they are all aimed at providing you with an effective internet marketing strategy for your home business.
Now that you know about these possibilities and the extra income you can earn putting them into practice you really should be thinking long and hard to grab some of that extra cash for yourself.
As stated above you can have an RSS feed on your articles, blogs, newsboards, newsletters and on website pages. A website is by far the best option because you can have at least three of those options on it and of course it’s so much better if you have your own website. This way you would have total control over all the content that your RSS feed would be linked to for broadcasting world wide.
Wealthy Affiliate is a fantastic online company with a training program and an online platform that will allow you to launch your career as a publisher onto the web.
You can signup to WA’s free Starter Membership and as soon as you do you will be given not one but two websites for zero cash and furthermore those sites will be hosted for you on the internet absolutely free as well. And there are no catches, and no hidden costs. Wouldn’t you say this is a great deal and start for you? Of course it is and you would be foolish to pass up this opportunity of working from home with your own website business.
But I can’t make up your mind for you. It has to be your decision so why not at the very least take a look at what Wealthy Affiliate is offering by clicking on the image below. After entering a few details on the form the link takes you to, you will have instant access to everything that WA has to give you.
If you have the time you could also leave a comment below which I will reply to as I do with all the comments left on this site.
Thank you for reading my article and I hope to see you on the inside where I will instantly welcome you and I’m ready and willing to help you all I can to get started.